A Potted History
Potts of Leeds were a major British manufacturing company of public clocks, based in Leeds. It is thought that there are 1600 Potts clocks in existence in England.
William Potts was born in 1809 and together with his 3 sons he established a business making turret clocks and dial clocks which can still be found throughout the world.
After the First World War two of his sons established their own clock making businesses; Tom Potts in 1928 and Charles Potts in 1930.
Charles H Potts remained in Leeds where he worked on such prestigious buildings as Manchester Cathedral, Birkenhead & Bootle Town Hall to mention but a few.
Charles H Potts and his son William Anthony Potts resigned from the company Chas H Potts & Co Ltd on 1st Oct 1958. The major shareholder of the company at this time was The Synchronome Co. Ltd who also acquired Gillett’s around the time. Evelyn Potts, Charles wife, was also a director and resigned at this time as well. On 23rd Sept 1966 Mr C H Coombes managing Director of Gillett’s was appointed a Director of Chas H Potts the registered office was changed to Marshall Mills, Leeds. On 30th Nov 1981 Chas H Potts & Co Limited company name was changed to Gillett &” Johnston (Engineering) Limited where Potts master craftsmanship and knowledge is carried on to this day. For more information please leave a comment below or, if preferred, use the contact form.